Country Director South Sudan
War Child Holland’s programme in South Sudan
War Child Holland has been working in what is now South Sudan since 1998. The programme has been focused on the consequences of decades of conflict and its purpose is to ensure that children, youth, communities and government are able to promote awareness on child rights, protect children from abuse, exploitation and all forms of violation of their rights. War Child Holland in South Sudan has its country office in the capital Juba and field offices in Bor in Jonglei State and Malakal in Upper Nile.
You are responsible for the realisation of War Child’s country programme. The country strategy is being finalized to guide WCH through 2020. As the Country Director you will lead the management team to implement the new strategy.
The current conflict in the country, sudden changes in the context, accessibility in rainy season make working in South Sudan very challenging.
War Child’s programmes in South Sudan have been growing and consist of projects funded by a range of donors and is carried out in collaboration with different partners. As the Country Director you will be responsible for building strategic partnerships.
You also have the final and overall responsibility for Finance Management, Logistics Management, Human Resources Management and management of staff.
The Country Director directly manages the Finance and Human Resources Manager, Programme Development Manager, Logistics & Security manage the Field Location Managers of Torit and Bor.
- A seasoned and inspiring leader;
- At least 15 years relevant experience in an international/humanitarian context of which 8 years in a senior management position (e.g. as Representative or Country director);
- Experience in security management and context analyses;
- Relevant academic background e.g. psychology, pedagogy, community development, social sciences, international relations;
- Experience in working with local partners and preferably in our field of expertise;
- Experience in financial management (including management of multiple grants);
- Strong problem solving and social skills;
- Proven affinity with War Child’s mandate.
- A challenging job, within an inspiring and motivated team of people and the backup of a strong and professional organisation in The Netherlands
- A fair salary and comprehensive secondary benefits that includes free housing, good insurances (including health, travel and disability) and opportunities to develop and learn professionally.
Job Location: Juba, Republic of South Sudan
Contract: At least 2 years in this position, starting with a 1 year contract with the intention to prolong
Starting date: December 2018/January 2019
South Sudan is a non-family duty station. The expatriate is not allowed to bring children. The expatriate can bring a partner under the condition that he/she is employed or will be employed by a humanitarian organization.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply before the 16th of July 2018. Make sure to upload your English CV (maximum of two pages) and fill in our online questionnaire by using the following hyperlink: https://warchild.onlinevacatures.nl/en/vacancy/details/104972
Kindly mention where you found this vacancy.
If this is not your dream job, support War Child by sharing this job with your network!
The safety of children is essential to War Child. War Child does not tolerate or accept any form of abuse. This subject is addressed in our recruitment and selection procedures.
•Only applications received via our website will be processed.
•If we appoint a suitable candidate before the given closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time will not be processed.
•It could be that during our selection process, the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and you have not yet heard from us, your application will remain live.